Home Health, Web Exclusive 6 things to know about REGEN-COV

6 things to know about REGEN-COV

As we continue to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic, updates regarding vaccines and treatments shape our guidance to ensure the safety and the well-being of the MS community.

Here are 6 things to know about the recent news on REGEN-COV in the treatment or post-exposure prevention of COVID-19.

1) REGEN-COV (casirivimab and imdevimab, administered together) has received emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

REGEN-COV can be used for the treatment of mild to moderate COVID-19 and to help prevent infection after being exposed to the coronavirus.

2) REGEN-COV may help certain people living with MS.

This treatment is recommended for those who are not fully vaccinated or those who may not have an adequate immune response to the COVID-19 vaccination. This includes people living with MS who are taking certain DMTs that may reduce or produce an undetectable antibody response to the COVID-19 vaccines.

3) REGEN-COV is safe to use for people living with MS.

The treatment can be used alongside disease-modifying therapies, although you may need to be coordinate timing with your MS healthcare provider.

4) The Society continues to recommend vaccination for those living with MS.

REGEN-COV is not a vaccine for COVID-19 nor is it a cure for COVID-19. Getting vaccinated is the best way to slow the spread of the pandemic, along with wearing a face mask, physical distancing and washing your hands.

5) Connect with your healthcare provider with any questions.

If you are taking a DMT that qualifies you to take REGEN-COV, connect with your healthcare provider right away if you think you’ve been exposed to someone with COVID-19. The FDA also has resources you can address with your doctor.

6) How you access treatment

Your healthcare provider can help you determine if treatment is right for you. Check out the following websites for more about information about locating COVID-19 treatments.

You can also contact your state health department for treatment information.