6 tips for staying hydrated
It’s important to stay hydrated all year long, but it can be trickier during the summer because it’s warmer and you might be out in the sun more. Here are some tips to help.
- Sip water throughout the day, not just when you’re thirsty. It can also help to make sure you have a refillable water bottle close at hand, especially if you’re on the go.
- Be aware of how much you sweat. The more you sweat, the more fluids you’re losing and will need to replenish.
- Avoid alcohol, which is dehydrating, or make sure you’re drinking plenty of water in between alcoholic drinks.
- Choose all-natural juice without added sugar, which can provide nutrients without the dehydrating effects of added sugar.
- Eat fresh produce with high water content, like watermelon, tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers and strawberries.
- Eat spicy foods! This may sound counterintuitive, but the sweat you produce when eating spicy foods actually helps cool you down. Just make sure you drink plenty of water during or after your meal.